Tuesday, 2 March 2010

IGP Ensa Badjie, 6 others sacked

The purge of the Gambian security continues with President Yahya Jammeh sacking one of his trusted and longest serving police chiefs alongside a number of senior military officers.
A presidential statement aired on the Gambia Radio and Television Services (GRTS), this evening, listed a total of six (6) senior officials in the Gambia Armed Forces (GAF), and the head of the Gambia Police Force, Inspector General Ensa Badjie, as the latest casualties of Yahya Jammeh’s seemingly unending sluice of the top hierarchy of his administration. The release stated that the president was acting in his capacity as Commander-in-chief of the Gambian armed forces, and that the dismissals were with immediate effect.
Other affected officials of Tuesday’s development are Royal Admiral Sarjo Fofana, Commander of the Gambian Navy; Colonel Ma Matar Secka, Commander Military Police; Major Kolute Manneh, Army Head Quarters; Lt Famara Jarssey, Army Head Quarters and Lt. Colonel Abdoulie Jatta of the Gambia National Guard.
The same presidential dispatch announced the following appointments: Yankuba Sonko as Acting Inspector General of Police; Commodore Sillah kujabbie as Acting Navy Commander; Lt. Col. Kawsu Sanyang as Commander of the Gambia Armed Forces Training School, all appointments being with immediate effect.
According to the presidential release, Famara Jallow, formerly police Commissioner, who was dismissed alongside former CDS General Tamba and co, was reinstated and appointed as Deputy Inspector General of police.
This development comes just one day after the dismissal by the president of the Deputy Chief of Defence Staff of the Gambia Armed Forces, Major General Yankuba Drammeh. Drammeh was replaced by General Ousman Badjie, younger brother of the sacked IGP.
Independent sources told Jollof News that the former IGP, Ensa Badjie, has been detained at Mile 2 prisons, after being questioned by the National Intelligence Agency (NIA). But we have not been able to confirm that as repeated telephone calls to the police spokesperson in Banjul have proven futile.

No comments: